Module 1: Charismatic species and tourism
Welcome to Module 1 of our “Marine conservation in the Maldives” course. In this first module, our invited lecturers will introduce you to the biology and ecology of some charismatic marine species living in the Maldives, and will also highlight the importance of these species both environmentally and ecologically.
By the end of this module, you will learn that:
- charismatic species are fundamental for the survival of the coral reef;
- healthy populations of marine species mean healthy coral reefs;
- charismatic species are valued more alive than dead;
- human behaviour can have serious impacts on marine populations;
- tourism can represent a sustainable solution for non-extractive use of marine resources only if rules are in place to limit interactions with species.