Module 2: Resource value and management
Welcome to Module 2 of our “Marine conservation in the Maldives” course. In this second module, our invited lecturers will explain how natural resources can be valued in the Maldives. This module will also introduce you to some examples of management practices and the role of civil society in the preservation of the environment.
By the end of this module, you will learn that:
- there are different ways of use natural resources;
- we can value natural resources and reefs in particular;
- there is a strong connection between resource use and sustainable development;
- cultural/spiritual values are fundamental to understand how people perceive natural resources;
- tourism can have a negative effect on natural resources is unregulated;
- civil society can actually ask for an area to be protected;
- local communities need to be involved in the management of protected areas.