Module 4: Fishery management in the Maldives
Welcome to Module 4 of our “Marine conservation in the Maldives” course. In this module, our invited lecturers will introduce you to fishery practices in the Maldives, focusing specifically on tuna and live bait fishery, and will also highlight important ecological and social impacts of fishery management practices.
By the end of this module, you will learn that:
- Pole-and-line is the most common technique to catch tuna in the Maldives;
- The mechanisation of fishing vessels has changed the behaviour of fishers ;
- Harvesting of live bait is currently being assessed;
- The impact of fishery on marine life is not limited to one country;
- Ghost nets represent a serious threat to marine species;
- Actions can be taken to reduce the impact on marine life by making appropriate food choices.